Sunday, January 2, 2011

Pays Basque

This was probably my favorite spot because of the beauty and what little history I know of the Basque Country. The Basque region covers a small area of Northeastern Spain and a small area in the Northwestern part of France. The native language spoken here is Basque which is an isolated language nothing like anything around them. From what I learned there is no other language like it. The words are comprised of a lot of consonants and very few vowels...so crazy! Of course these people speak their country's language as well; French and Spanish.
Here in this region we visited two Basque towns; San Sabastian, Spain and Biarritz, France. Due to limited time we spent most of our energies in San Sabastian. I loved this town! It was the perfect size for me and the culture was screaming FUN! I loved it! After checking into our hotel we were guided to the old part of town to find a bunch of Tapas bars open. The tradition here is to grab a tapa and a soothing beverage and then head to another tapas bar and do the same thing...The food was amazing and the atmosphere was very uplifting. The people here were very happy! I seriously could live here and maybe I would even consider pushing Seneca's bedtime back a few hours since dinner here in Spain starts at 8:30pm. :)


There were two Gothic churches in this old part of town. Here is the inside of one. 

and the other...

The best outside our hotel! I loved this! Totally reminded me of the beaches in Southern California. sniff...sniff

Another shot of the Ocean. Out hotel is on the far left.

A bay on the other side of the town. 
Same shot as above without the boardwalk.
After our brief stay here we drove up the coast of Spain towards Biarritz, France. Next time we'd love to stay in both of these two places longer!



2 comments:

Beverly Livingston said...

We had a great time with you guys. I loved seeing all your pics!

Brigg and Melynne Barron said...

Absolutely Beautiful! thanks for posting all the pictures, it's so fun for us to see back here! How cold is it there? Miss ya!