Friday, June 13, 2008

Bitter-Sweet!

This past school year I was asked to teach an early morning bible study class to the Freshman and Sophomores that go to a local high school. I was excited for this opportunity, but a little worried since the class was Monday through Friday from 5:45am-6:30am. I was concerned with how I was going to balance this with my job and my family! Ugh! I was really worried! Aside from the usual worries I accepted the assignment! I am so glad I did! I had never read the Old Testament. The verbiage in the Old and New Testaments is really difficult for me to understand as it's written in the King James version. With a lot of prayer, and teacher/student manuals I began to understand what was written so that I could teach it to these precious youth! It was hard at times balancing everything, but in the end it all worked out! On Sunday we had seminary graduation and I was so proud of myself to have gotten through it! I must say even though it was early and tough to balance at times, the benefits were beyond what I had expected! I had such an amazing experience learning about this book! I have to say at this point, it is my favorite! I love all the stories! I don't mean for this site to be preachy, churchy or too mushy spiritual but I'd love to share with you an experience I had about a year ago when I prayed to my Heavenly Father. I was asking him to help me better understand the Old Testament. I knew the Old Testament had a lot of information concerning the organization of God's church here on the earth, as well as with the structure and other things that pertain to the temple. I wanted to learn more about these two things because I knew what had been revealed in ancient times applies to us today. About a month later I was ask by my local church leaders to teach this course. I couldn't believe it! It was truly an answer to my prayers! (Next time I will be careful what I pray for :)) This has been a great experience. It helped strengthen my testimony about my Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. It was a testimony to me that God does reveal things to His prophets here on the earth that, in turn, helps us. I am truly grateful to my Heavenly Father for this experience. This fall I am scheduled to teach the New Testament. I look forward to having another amazing year!

8 comments:

Karin said...

Ah, I bet "sleeping in" 'til 6:30 or 7:00 has never felt so good! Thanks for sharing your testimony! I'm sure you were an amazing teacher- your students were lucky to have you.

SUMMER said...

I just LOVE your blog girl!!! The background, the music and the stunning picture of you two!!! I am asking around for you and keeping my ears peeled in case I hear something... I can't wait to see you guys in action as parents! You will be the BEST!!!

Melinda said...

Congrats on making it through the year with those early, early mornings! Sounds like an incredible experience though! I am so excited for you and Matt to become parents. Your blog looks great! I will forward the address on to others in hopes of helping to find your special little one who will join your family!!!

Debbie Hadley said...

Yea, I'm so glad you guys have a blog! I'm impressed that you made it through the O.T. at 5 A.M.!!! I'm sure you were an amazing teacher. We will keep our ears out for adoption opportunities.

Alicia said...

Okay, I am officially stalking you. I saw on Kristin's blog that you and Matt are adopting and I couldn't be more excited! I just think you are the greatest nad I can't wait to be nerdy blogging buddies.

The Birth Control Pill said...

i am glad seminary is over for you. now we get to stay out later on school nights. that is until school is out then it's party time for the summer!

Laurel said...

I'm so glad I found your blog through Kristin! I had no idea you and Matt were adopting until she mentioned it on her blog, then saw your comment on that post and followed your profile here.

I am so excited for you guys and hope everything goes smoothly.

I'm glad you enjoyed teaching Seminary! My mom has done it for years, and with my youngest brother being a Senior next year, that will be her last. The time is definitely her biggest complaint, but she loves it.

Send me your email address to laurel.richardson@yahoo.com so I can send you the invite to our blog. I can't wait to keep in better touch!

Alison said...

I heard you were an amazing seminary teacher! What an amazing experience...thanks for sharing.