Sunday, March 27, 2011

International experience---FOOD

I am truly grateful for the opportunity to move here to France, especially Manosque. Matt works with ITER, a nuclear fusion project that involves the European Union, US, Japan, India, China, Russia, and Korea.  As a result of the project there are many people living here with various cultural backgrounds. We have met friends from Algeria, Tunisia, Italy, Spain, Hungary, Holland, Germany, Belgium, England, Ireland, Scotland, Russia, China, Japan, India, Mexico, Argentina, and Kyrgyzstan! I'm sure there are many more but these are the ones I know of personally. The other joy in this journey learning about the various cultures associated with where all of my friends come from; which includes food, religion and other social customs. All of this has been a great learning experience for me. I'd love to highlight today, the food!
I've learned how to make a number of things while living here such as:

Traditional couscous with chicken. A meal the provincial people have adopted from Morroco, Paella: adopted from Spain, Raclette: a meal served in the winter time, the tradition of serving a variety of cheese after dinner, before dessert, Hungarian dishes, Turkish, and much much more! I need to document these experiences with a camera...Anyway, most recently we had dinner with my friend Aiperi again and her friend Aynur. Aiperi is from Kyrgystan and her friend is from Uzbekistan. They cooked us a traditional meal from their countries. I was so happy to arrive early and learn how they prepared the meal. Loved it! 
manty (not sure how to spell in their native tongue)


mimosa salad with crab, sardines, carrots and other stuff...can't recall.

eggplant with dill, tomato, and garlic

fried bread

1 comment:

Fowler family said...

Oh my goodness, that food looks awesome Mesia! So cool you are cooking and eating and xperiencing all this!