Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Weekend with Mamie et Papie

This past weekend we decided to head down toward the water to visit with my grandparents. We had not seen them since Christmas, so it was a well needed visit.

I have to say we really messed up. On Friday, I picked up Matt after he got off work. It was about 6:30pm and we were all hungry. Unfortunately, fast food is not so common around here; however, pizza trucks are. So, we decided to hit the next town up for take out pizza. Since we were getting in relatively late, I thought my grandparents would probably not have dinner waiting for us. Traditionally, they eat a larger meal during lunch (siesta) than they do at dinner time. So, we pretty much eat our yummy pizza in the car and try to eat as much as we can so we don't waste it AND have any evidence of food in our car for when we arrive at their home.

Well, we arrived and of course, they waited for us to eat dinner....yikes! It was not a huge dinner by any means, but it was large enough to set our tummies out of whack for the entire weekend! I was so bummed I made the decision to buy this crazy pizza...ugh! I felt bad for my grandparents...I bet they were wondering what was wrong...but all we confessed to say was we had upset stomachs. Again, dumb mistake...Gilbert (papie) loves to cook! So, there was not enough lag time in between meals to help our tummies re-set themselves....anyway, we are at home now and still recovering from heartburn. At least I will remember for next time....
before heading to my grandparents we hit the local nursery to buy something for them. we saw these little grocery carts and seneca just lit up in excitement. so, she pushed this cart all throughout the store directing me where to go as she put stuff in her cart. so cute!

there is a beautiful hilltop village called bormes les mimosa near my grandmother. i really wanted to visit this place because most of my relatives were born here. plus, when the mimosa's bloom it is absolutely gorgeous!

dad pretending to get on seneca's shoulders.

mamie at saint claire beach





mamie and papie with delicious paella.

they were so sweet! they got me a "le poisson d'avril cake" (april fool's cake) for my birthday. 

walking along the boardwalk at le lavandou beach

5 comments:

Karin said...

No wonder you're waiting 'til this weekend to celebrate your birthday- You've gotta give your tummies that long just to recoup!
Was this area near where Matt had to travel for Priesthood session, or was this just a fun weekend getaway? And finally- what is April Fool's Cake?

Mesia said...

@Karin, this was in le lavandou. we decided to visit them during conference weekend when we didn't have church. so, no conference for us. we've been watching since we returned. hopefully, we can finish this week.
in france they call april fool's le poisson d'avril. basically, kids make fish and try and stick them on their friend's back without them knowing. the local bakeries make fish pastries to celebrate this day...pretty fun.

Peri said...

So nice ,you had great birthday ,a lot of fun ! Seneca is so beautiful like usually ,love pictures on beach .

Beverly Livingston said...

I sure do love the beach! You guys look great...as always! :-)

the harrisons said...

That Paella looks unbelievable! I love all of your adventures and could Seneca be any more beautiful?!